PUBLIC HEALTH ALERT
Town of Dayton, Indiana
There’s no other way to say it: 2020 is like no year we’ve ever experienced, and August is no different. Kids will be starting school with masks and social distancing or they will be starting their semester virtually. Our shopping trips require us to wear masks in stores, and practice social distancing. Some people place orders online for curbside pick-up. We will all continue to adapt to the circumstances, and it seems likely the town council will continue to meet remotely through August, at least, as we tend to the ongoing business of the town.
We have adopted the updated the Animal Control Ordinance as required by the county’s Unified Zoning Ordinance. We have reinstituted the requirement for Golf Carts to have seatbelts for children under 10. The updated ordinances can be found on this page and in the Ordinance section. We have changed our trash and recycle service provider to save residents a bit of cash. The new trash bins are growing on us, and now we affectionately call them our "McKans". (It seems appropriate don’t you think?)
Development on the town’s perimeter continues. The party who purchased and rezoned land west of MacAllister for a semi-truck dealership has sent preliminary plans to the town’s engineers, and they plan on beginning construction in October. Work continues on the Baker Farms subdivision south of town.
The engineering for the Yost Drive extension has been temporarily paused to allow the council to consider all of its options in light of recent developments. Land inside our TIF District (that was soon to be annexed into the town) was rezoned to Heavy Industrial over our objections. This rezone denied Dayton the opportunity to plan for the nearly 100 acres north of current town limits and west of the planned Yost drive extension, bordering on Haggerty Lane. We will be reaching out for input from residents as we make decisions on this area.
The Council will be meeting by telephone on August 10th. Details will be provided on how to listen, submit comments, and to speak during the meeting.
As always, we urge you to contact any of your council members with comments or concerns. Our contact information can be found here.
Stay safe, Dayton!
2020 Animal Control Ordinance Update
POSTPONED DUE TO WEATHER
August 10th Council Meeting
The Dayton Town Council will meet by telephone on Monday, August 10th at 7 pm. The agendas are attached below. See the instructions below to listen and comment on agenda items.
2020 Golf Cart Ordinance
William Bush Started It
A long, long time ago …
…the first settlers arrived in Dayton. It was 1825 when William Bush and others settled here, and Bush probably sold the first lots about 1827, the year the town celebrates as its founding. Two years later, the town was officially platted, in two parts. In 1829, both Dr. Timothy Horram, who owned land adjoining Bush’s, and William Bush decided it was time to file a plat. The two men used the same surveyor and filed their plats on the same day, September 16, 1829. Bush called his plat Marquis (de), with all lots lying along the south side of the state road now known as Indiana 38. Dr. Horram called his plat Fairfield, with all lots lying north of the road. Bush’s plat for Marquis was entered first (Deed Book A, p. 381), earning him the honor of town founder. Horram’s plat for Fairfield is recorded on the following page (Deed Book A, p 382.). The name Marquis may never have been used, but for some reason early local histories often get it backward, claiming that the town was first called Fairfield by William Bush, and later Marquis by Horram.
In a deed recorded October 5, 1830 (at Deed Book B, page 278), David Gregory platted an addition to the town of Fairfield, with all lots lying west of Conjunction St (alongside Fairfield) and north of the state road (across from the west half of Bush’s Marquis plat).
When the growing town applied for a post office, it was denied the use of the name Fairfield because there was already a post office by that name in Indiana, a dilemma shared with several other aspiring Fairfields around the state. Legend says Gregory offered to donate a lot for a school if the town would take the name Dayton, after the prosperous Dayton, Ohio, in the area from which Gregory and others had come. On April 19, 1831, the Dayton post office was established, and on July 5, 1831, Gregory deeded a lot for a school (lot 19; Book 58, p. 172), although it was not, as legend says, exactly on the spot where the school stands today. It was on a lot directly in front of today’s school location but facing Main Street. The one-room school was built far back on the lot, and the land where the school stands today was also Gregory land at the time, making it essentially the same location. As new buildings were erected, they were located behind the existing building, on the north edge of the town.
Much has happened in Dayton since then…